With the first snow fall happening today, it is a good time to go over some tips that will help prevent back injuries while shoveling snow this winter.
- Shovel frequently: Try not to let all the snow pile up before starting to shovel; frequent shoveling allows you to move smaller amount of snow which will be less strenuous.
- Pick the right shovel: Use a lightweight shovel, preferably a pusher-type. If you use a metal shovel, spray it with Teflon first, so snow will not stick to it.
- Push, don’t throw: If possible it is always best to push the snow to the side rather than throwing it. This helps to avoid lifting heavy amount of snow.
- Bend at your knees and hips: It is important to use your legs and arms to lift the snow, while keeping your back straight or neutral.
- Take a break: If you feel tired or short of breath, stop and take a rest. If you feel any sudden back or chest pain, stop immediately. If the chest pain persists, see a doctor immediately. If the back pain persists, Middlesex Spine and Sport Clinic is here to help.
Chiropractic – Physiotherapy – Massage Therapy – Naturopathic Medicine – Custom Orthotics
Serving: Mount Brydges, Strathroy, London, and Surrounding Areas